10 Feb Puppy Love!-Valentine Treats for your Pets
As we all know, Valentine’s Day is near. Why not give a special treat to the love of your life, your pets!! Try a new recipe that your pets will enjoy!
Red Velvet Pupcakes for Dogs
• 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
• 1/2 cup of honey
• 1 cup of apple sauce (preferably natural without sugar)
• 1/3 cup of beet puree or beet juice
• 1 1/2 cup of wheat flour (all purpose white will work too)
• 1 egg
• 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese for frosting
- Preheat over to 350
- In a large bowl, combine honey, oil, apple sauce, beet puree or juice and egg
- Gradually add flour
- Mix thoroughly until everything is combined
- Spoon mixture into cupcake pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Let them cool on a rack
- For frosting, add the cottage cheese to a food processor or blender and puree cottage cheese until smooth about 30 seconds to 1-minute
- Frost and serve
Valentine’s Tuna Treats for Cats
• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
• 1/2 can tuna or 1/2 cup chopped chicken (cooked)
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or cod liver oil
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/4 cup water
• catnip (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mash the tuna (or chicken) into smaller pieces. Then add flour and milk. Mix well.
- After all is mixed, pour in water and oil. Mix well again.
- Now, beat the egg in a separate dish until egg gets a foamy texture. Add to mix.
- Mix well. (The dough mix will be sticky.)
- Using your fingers, shape dough into small bite size balls, about the size of a marble. Put balls on the greased cookie sheets. Flatten balls with hand, and shape into little hearts.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove heart treats from oven, then wait five minutes and turn treats over so other side will cook. Bake 10 more minutes or until golden brown in color.
- Place treats on cookie rack to cool. Cool for 15 minutes.